Sunday, February 12, 2012

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: line(1): Syntax error). The step failed


When I create a new maintenance plan for any of the database maintenance activities I get the following message.

Error Message “Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: line(1): Syntax error). The step failed.”


So I started to investigate what configuration in the maintenance plan was causing this failure. I saw that in the job step where the information for the maintenance plan is mentioned the ‘\’ at the beginning of the plan name was missing.
The typical plan names are mentioned as

\Maintenance Plans\Full Backups

But this time it was mentioned as

Maintenance Plans\Full Backups


So I added the ‘\’ at the beginning of the plan name in the job step and it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment