Tuesday, February 20, 2018

SQL Server 2017 on Linux

I have been a DBA on IBM UDB DB2 longer than on SQL Server. So with great pleasure I would like to announce that today I installed SQL Server 2017 on Linux.

I am going to finally able to utilize my Linux skills to administer SQL Server.


I will be writing more blogs about my experience with SQL Server on Linux.

If you guys want to install SQL on Linux then this is a good starting point.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-setup

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a virtual machine. It took me a couple of attempts before I could figure out what I needed. Hint: after installing Ubuntu, I chose to install 'Ubuntu Desktop'.

Then installed Open-SSH and started the SSH service. Later I installed Putty on my Windows host and using the IP address of the Linux machine I SSHed into it.

This way I would have not to fool around with the virtual machine interface and just work in Putty. For those of you who don't work with Putty, I highly recommend getting used to that because unlike Windows, in Linux environment you will be working via a SSH client like Putty. You will never have a desktop environment for Linux and certainly no RDP.

But the good thing is that once you the server running you can use SSMS or sqlcmd from any other machine to work with SQL Server on Linux.



No comments:

Post a Comment