Friday, June 26, 2015

Sybase 15.7: Add new device and extend the database

As mentioned in my previous post I have been working on Sybase databases too. Firstly, let me tell you how similar they are and it's relatively easy transition for someone who knows SQL Server and can work around in a UNIX environment.

One of my first problems that I had to resolve was to increase the size of a database that was getting full.

Looks like you have to first create a physical device/file before assigning it to the database. So I following the commands.


1) First add a new device
    USE master
    go
    DISK INIT
    NAME='GLUT_UDL04',
    PHYSNAME='/home/dump/sybase_dump/sybdata/GLUT_UDL04.dat',
    VDEVNO=18,
    SIZE='30G',
    VSTART=0,
    CNTRLTYPE=0,
    DSYNC=FALSE
    go

2) Then Alter the database and add this device.

    ALTER DATABASE SYBPR
    ON GLUT_UDL04='9215M'
   WITH OVERRIDE
    go

No comments:

Post a Comment